Sunday 22 July 2012

Tit search...

On Saturday (21/07) it was another fantastic day weather-wise, you would almost think it was Summer! Oh wait....

Like most men I am desperate for the chance to see a couple of Tits. In this case it's the Marsh and Willow Tit, two species I don't get the chance to see living in the Highlands (althought hopefully will get to see some Finnish Willows when I am over there). A recommendation of a site for Marsh Tit from a very local knowledgable birder was the destination and I was just round the corner down in Howick.

I parked at the crossroads near Seahouses farm and headed down the coastal path first. Plenty of Goldfinches, Linnets and singing Yellowhammer and plenty of Terns hunting over the water and young Eiders loafing about. Further out was also a large group of Gannets dive bombing into the sea.

Fly-by Sandwich Tern

Yellowhamer singing it's heart out.
As I moved along the path there were loads of Butterflies about including Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Small Tortoiseshell.

Meadow Brown
Worn Ringlet
Common Blue
Meadow Brown
I finally came to the entrance to the woods of Howick Dene where my chance to see Marsh Tit would be. There was a small area of wet woodland along a stretch of maybe 500 metres. I spent almost two hours here searching and stopping and searching and listening. I did see plenty of Tits in the form of Blue, Great and Coal (a couple of these caught me out and I got excited) but no Marsh. There was also Willow Warbler, Blackbird, plenty of Wrens, Woodpigeons and a Buzzard flew over. Nice to see plenty Speckled Wood butterflies too.

I headed back the way I came and I got a nice view of a male Blackcap as he came flying down the path towards me and disappeared into some brambles not far in front of me. Plenty more Terns seen on the way back and a good view of a hovering Kestrel. All in all nice to be out in the good weather and it was an enjoyable walk so can't complain.










No comments:

Post a Comment